If you were to think about every problem in the world you would lose your mind. Honestly, your head would just explode right there in your cubicle. That’s one of the reasons for sleep, to wipe everything away from the day so you don’t lose your head. Empathy is great, but focusing on problems that you can’t do anything about just drains all your energy and makes you stressed out….No fun for anyone.
Take care of yourself first. Focus on the things you can control. Just like the Flight Attendant says, “Put the oxygen mask on yourself first, before helping others”.
Here are 10 things you can do right now to gain control.
- Scheduling everything important puts you in control.
- Getting things out of your head and onto paper puts you in control.
- Moving toward a strength and away from a weakness puts you in control.
- Saying YES to the positive and NO to the negative puts you in control.
- Honoring your commitments, (especially the ones to yourself) puts you in control.
- Practice/Drilling/Rehearsing puts you in control.
- Being prepared puts you in control.
- Not worrying about things you can’t control puts you in control.
- Doing something everyday towards your goals puts you in control.
- Doing an act of kindness instead of complaining about a problem puts you in control.
- BONUS 1: Making a decision and taking action puts you in control.
- BONUS 2: Making your WORD the most sacred part of your life puts you in control.