The New Year is here! What are you going to do to make this a great year for your company? At some point every business has to advertise along the way just to stay even. That could be Yellow Pages, web listings or just a free Facebook page. If you want to grow and get your “unfair share” of the money being spent in your category, you really need to find creative and cost effective ways to make sure potential customers choose you over the competition.
Advertising is the way to separate your business from the pack. As I have written about on several other blog posts, the four keys to advertising are: -Reach, Frequency, Consistency, and Creative (Copy).
Now we will take a second and talk about the 7 deadly sins of advertising. Break them and you could be wasting money. Money that could help your business thrive in 2012.
The Seven Deadly Sins of Advertising
1. Failure to attract the customer’s attention: The world suffers from information overload–What are you doing to stand out?
2. Failure to appeal to the listener’s self interest: Don’t kid yourself, most people don’t care about your product or service–They only car about what you can do for them.
3. Failure to use words that paint pictures: Tell stories, paint pictures, make what you have to sell connect with the potential customer on an emotional level.
4. Being so creative that you forget to sell: What do you remember about the most funny and creative commercials? If it’s not the product being advertised, there is a major problem.
5. Failure to give someone a reason to act now: Allow someone to put off a decision, and chances are, they will!
6. Cliché ridden copy: Don’t say the same old crap we’ve all heard for the past 30 years..Be interesting, or don’t waste your money.
7. Too much copy: Stick to one or two points. Laundry lists only work when you go to the laundry. Stay on topic; don’t overwhelm the customer with too much information.
There you go, easy right? I will hit each of these topics in more depth in the upcoming weeks. Good luck and I hope your business has a great 2012!